Complaining of tail bone pain. Noticed pus coming out. What to do?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
hi my daughter has been complaining since Monday this week that her tailbone has been hurting. on Tuesday she toom a bath and noticed puss has been coming out. Since she started to take the bath's its getting better..she doesn't need advil anymore and she can sleep on her back. Today her butt cheeks star
started to hurt.

Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 34 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
From your description, I think your daughter may have a pilonidal abscess. This is not serious. A pilonidal abscess is the result of an infected pilonidal sinus. This is a small hole that develops in the cleft between the buttocks. Multiple holes can join and become a tunnel or sinus. If these become infected they will produce pus and cause pain and redness in the area.
I would suggest she visits her doctor for assessment. A pilonodal abscess can be diagnosed on visual examination. Treatment usually involves a small operation to remove the infected sinus. In the meantime, I suggest she keeps the area clean and dry.
I hope this has been helpful. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger