Complaining of stomach pain and passing loose stools with foul smell. Prescribed Taxim-O forte. Should I be worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question

My 3 year 8 month old son complaining from yesterday of stomach pain and passing loose stool. The loose stool was smelling foul yesterday but today the loose stool has no smell. The doctor has prescribed for Taxim-O forte dry syrup and since yesterday we been giving him the syrup. Is there anything to worry about? We are continously giving him fluids. He vomitted milk yesterday so i stopped it for time being. He had half XXXXXXX yesterday.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems having gastroenteritis mostly due to a virus or bacteria.

Continue the medication as advised by your pediatrician.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhea is to monitor and maintain hydration of the child.

Keep on giving oral rehydration solutions (ORS) like Pedialyte 50 to 100 ml sip by sip after each loose stool and in between to maintain the hydration.

Monitor his hydration by his activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of tongue and oral cavity.

Probiotic like Saccharomyces or lactobacillus sachets and zinc can be added to his treatment with the doctor prescription as they will help to decrease loose stools.

For vomitings you can give an anti emetic like ondansetron in prescribed dosage.

If the loose stools are persisting, or child develops signs of dehydration consult the pediatrician again for reassessment and for further management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Complaining of stomach pain and passing loose stools with foul smell. Prescribed Taxim-O forte. Should I be worried? 1 hour later
Thank you for your prompt revert. I hope this is normal in kids.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 47 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back and your kind appreciation.

Gastroenteritis is a frequent and common problem in children due to viruses or bacteria.

Maintaining hydration of the child is important.

Replace the losses of water and electrolytes in loose stools by giving ORS like Pedialyte.

You can give other oral rehydration fluids like lemonade and coconut water in addition to ORS.

Regards.