Complaining mild pain in back of abdomen. USG done. What does it indicate?

Feb 2013

good evening. my daughter is complaining a mild pain in the left back abdomen. USG done and report says "left kidney shows moderate fullness of the pelvis". blood & urine test reveals CRP - 81.0 and neutrophills- 0000.

is anything severely wrong with my daughter. she is just 8 years old. she is also suffering from fever and vomiting sometime. please help.
thank u.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks urinary tract infection with invoved kidney

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The reports you sent show high neutrophil count, positive CRP test are suggestive of presence of a bacterial infection.

As ultrasound abdomen report is suggestive of moderate fullness of the pelvis of left kidney, so the site of infection could be left kidney.

If the reports are correlated with her clinical symptoms of fever, vomiting, and mild pain in the left back abdomen, the complete picture is suggestive urinary tract infection most probably with bacteria involving left kidney.

Infection of kidney is called pyelonephritis and it should be treated with intravenous antibiotics and the child needs hospitalization.

Other investigations like complete urine examination, urine for culture and sensitivity, blood for culture to confirm the urine infection and to know the causative bacteria and its sensitivity to specific antibiotics.

She needs clinical examination and interpretation of her complete investigations by her pediatrician.

Therefore I suggest you to consult your pediatrician immediately for further management of the child condition.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.