Coloured spots on back from spine to armpit. No pain. What could it be?

Jul 2012

Over a dozen red/maroon colored spots appeared on the left side of my back that scatter from my spine to my armpit. They vary in size from pinpoint to about a centimeter. They don't itch, don't burn, don't hurt, or anything. They are just there but they feel somewhat rough to the touch. One of my friends suggested they may be liver spots, but I've never heard of red colored ones, so I highly doubt that's what they could be. I uploaded an image, but the quality is somewhat low. Do you know what they could be?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
Is it possible there was some sort of an insect bite as in a crawling insect?
It does seem localised & your photograph is unclear.
Your friend may have a point but it appears more a hemorrhagic or purpuric phenomenon. Is it possible that you applied some sort of pain relief balm to the area that may have caused it?
Is there any history of preceding fever, tiredness, bodyache or malaise?
Please do get back with the queries & may be better able to help you. Also a clearer digital image if possible. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Coloured spots on back from spine to armpit. No pain. What could it be? 3 hours later
Usually insect bites itch a lot when I receive them. Also, the marks aren't any specific shape either. Bites are usually circular for me, but the marks are random. Almost as if someone took a paint brush covered in paint and waved it at that part of my back, which did not happen. I had not applied any form of pain relief balm or cream to that part of body recently. Lately I have been tired a lot because I have been having difficulty sleeping, staying up until 4am or later, or not going to bed at all. The newly uploaded photo is the best quality photo that I can receive right now. The spots are flat and somewhat dry, and as I said before, they don't itch, burn, ache, hurt, irritate, sting, or anything.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
I hear you.
In this case, if they are asymptomatic, a wait & watch policy may be in order.
If indeed you say you are feeling tired & weak, please do some preliminary blood tests eg. Hb (hemoglobin) & the CBC(complete blood count) with platelet counts & a peripheral smear. This will give you a definitive clue as to any underlying systemic cause if any. If not, let it be & watch & wait..a local calamine lotion application may suffice to allay anxiety. Cheers & Godspeed!
Do keep us posted on further developments.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Coloured spots on back from spine to armpit. No pain. What could it be? 6 hours later
I will be having blood work done next week to find out if it's some form of disease. Thank you for the help and information.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 9 hours later
Ur most welcome. Good Luck! Cheers.