Colonoscopy,blood in stool,family history of colon cancer

I have a colonoscopy scheduled. This is my second one in Five years. The first one was at
age 45. The first they found nothing and said come back in 5 years. My father died from colon cancer. I have had some bleeding lately and some change in my bowel. I've read on the internet and I've scared myself into thinking I have colon cancer. Can you give me some answers about this please.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 22 minutes later
Best of luck for your second colonoscopy.
The first thing that would save you is your awareness. The fact that you know that you have a possibility of developing colo-rectal cancer is a battle half-won. Knowledge is empowerment.
Yes, there is definitely heredity involved in Colo-rectal cancer. Heredity plays a major role in those below 55 years.
Does your father's medical history mention that he had Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP)? There is 100% chance of inheriting FAP.