Colonoscopy,benign mucosa with increased eosinophilis.

i would like an interpretation of my biopsy report
I underwent colonoscopy and a tissue sample was taken for biopsy
DIAGNOSIS: Benign Mucosa with increased eosinophils and some neutrophils in the lamina propria. No amobia observed
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 19 minutes later

I shall try to interpret your biopsy reports.

The disease is benign, which means it is not harmful. The delicate membrane lining the intestines is known as Mucosa. Lamina Propria is the microscopic layer of the Mucosa. The Eosinophils are the variety of White Blood Cells in the body, which increase during allergy. The Neutrophils are the variety of White Blood Cells in the body, which increase during infection, especially bacterial. Amoeba are protozoal micro-organisms which cause Amoebiasis which leads to diarrhea and abdominal pain.
So your report suggests the presence of allergic manifestations in the lining of the intestine, which is not of harmful nature and mild bacterial infection. There is no signs of Amoebiasis.

You could share with me if you have any reports of investigations like Rheumatiod Factor, Serum Uric Acid. If they have not been done yet, you may consider undergoing these investigations .

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.
Follow-up: Colonoscopy,benign mucosa with increased eosinophilis. 5 hours later
hi dr. thank you very much for a very detailed explaination, I have here blood test that I hope would help you help me to know what really is wrong, what is causing all of my symptom. ESR: 26mm/hr, C3: 190.24, CRP positive. Can this be also possible for ulcerative colitis.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 4 hours later
Slightly high ESR,
Higher than normal Complement Protein 3 and
CRP positive are all suggestive of Inflammatory Process going on in the body.
All the above three are weakly suggestive of ULCERATIVE COLITIS.

Eosinophils in Lamina Propria in biopsy sample of mucosa is highly suggestive of ULCERATIVE COLITIS.
Follow-up: Colonoscopy,benign mucosa with increased eosinophilis. 7 hours later
what other laboratory test can be done to really confirm ulcerative colitis. Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 36 minutes later

No more pathological tests are required now. As confirmatory diagnosis is by Colonoscopy and biopsy which are already done.

With the reports provided in your previous posts, there are higher chances of you suffering with ULCERATIVE COLITIS. Please see your doctor and discuss about the treatment required.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.