Colonoscopy to be done. Will it be safe to take medicine for cough?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in the morning and I have been coughing all evening and have cold chills but no fever or other symptoms. Is it still safe for me to show up for my procedure in the morning and can i take anything to help me sleep and not cough. i was exposed to a virus lasting 5 days last week.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 40 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Colonoscopy is usually performed under sedation. While the procedure is being performed the vital parameters are continuosly being monitored especially oxygen saturation. lung function at times. As there is no emergency to do this procedure it is advisable to postpone it to a day when you are fully cured of the viral infection.
I hope this answers your querry.