Colonoscopy showed something pushing against lower bowel. CT scan scheduled. Any ideas?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Had a colonoscopy, routine, a couple days ago. No polyps but the doctor located something pushing against lower bowel. It sorta looked like a small ball. He stated that it "didn't look evil.". But he said he felt obligated to have it checked. Ct scan is scheduled. I am 46 and post menopausal. No symptoms noticed. No abdominal aim whatsoever. Had a vaginal ultrasound done a few years ago due to back pain. Showed an ovarian that disappeared. I am up to date with my pap smear nd blood work was normal. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query

Do you have any symptoms related to large bowel or it was a routine screening ?

Ball like impressions in the lower bowel on Colonoscopy are usually retroperitoneal structures

Do you have any obstructive symptoms like constipation ?

A CT in these situations is conclusive, so I would recommend you go for a CT and get back to me with the reports

Hope this helps

Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Colonoscopy showed something pushing against lower bowel. CT scan scheduled. Any ideas? 5 hours later
It was a routine colonoscopy. I don't have constipation. I am not experiencing any pain whatsoever.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your followup and thanks for providing the information

Most of the times these impressions are really benign in form of Lymph nodes and ovarian cyst, but a high resolution ultrasound or a CT is diagnostic

I would wait for a CT to come to a conclusive diagnosis

Once the same is done get back to me with the reports

Am available for followup queries

Wishing you a speedy recovery

I presume it is a good sign that I have no pain and not experiencing other symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks again for your followup

Yes you are right it is a good sign that there are no symptoms like pain etc

Do keep me updated with the CT Report

Till then.....

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept this reply and rate it

Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Colonoscopy showed something pushing against lower bowel. CT scan scheduled. Any ideas? 21 hours later
Had the ct scan now awaiting the results. I drank the barium as required and had the first scan. Then they came in and gave me i.v. Contrast. Does that mean they found something wrong or couldn't find anything wrong but rather wanted to exhaust all options?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 16 minutes later
Hi

Yes you are right they would not have found anything specific on barium enhanced CT so they would have gone for an IV Contrast

Keep reassuring yourself
We are always there for our patients
Drop in a line when you feel you need a moral boost up

Awaiting your CT Report
Till then have a nice time
Get Well Soon