Colonoscopy reported focal hyperplastic changes in the mucosa. Does that mean I have cancer?

My colonoscopy reported "focal hyperplastic changes" in the mucosa. Does that mean I have cancer?
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

I appreciate your concern.

Hyperplasia means an increase in the number of cells in an area. Focal hyperplastic changes means that in a localised (focal ) area , there was an increase in the cells seen.

This is usually used to describe a type of polyp that can occur in the colon. These type of polyps are not thought to have any potential to become malignant unless they are on the right side of the colon.
Right sided hyperplastic polyps have a small malignant (cancerous) potential.

Your report indicates that there was a local area of change but does not state or indicate that you have cancer.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions