Colonoscopy left with nauseous and vomiting yellow substance. Have lung cancer. Suggestions?

General Surgeon
Query for gastroenterologist in particular; i had a first-screening colonoscopy 10 years ago - MD suggested another colonoscopy 10 years followup (presently). There is no history of cancer in my family, excepting a cousin with 4th stg lung cancer. My mother , late age 80s had some polyps removed however. My 1st colonoscopy left me nauseous and vomiting yellow substance so i am reluctant to take another - i am now age 63. Do you advise doing colonoscopy or wait? I fear the prep and bowel cleansing will throw off my delicate immune system as I react now , easily (fibromyalgia, slight heart valve murmur, otherwise fine). thanks
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
iFOBT is an alternative.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

The reason your doctor has advised colonoscopy every 10 years is because guidelines say so. This is based on the approximate colon cancer development time which is 10 years. And this is in case of non hereditary colon cancer (sporadic).

Waiting is not a good option. Luckily the same guidelines say that instead of colonoscopy you can have FOBT (fecal occult blood test) done every year. This test should be done after 3 days without meat in diet (no other preparation necessary). It should be done 3 times from 3 consecutive stools. More accurate is iFOBT (immunological).
There is also third option - virtual colonoscopy. Instead of putting tube inside the intestines, you only swallow a contrast and some air is pushed into the rectum. But this test needs same preparation as classic colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Colonoscopy left with nauseous and vomiting yellow substance. Have lung cancer. Suggestions? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. I won't see my family MD until early October to ask for FOBT and then, I am not sure he won't insist on the tradl colonoscopy as he seems that way -- C,scope scheduled for next Thursday 19 september, therefore do it now or reschedule for later but nothing may change. Pharmacist advised using a different prep today supposedly easier: pico salax rather than GoLytely. My previoius trouble came after the c'scope from the sedation medications use. Are the risks of colonoscopy greater/less than not doing? thanks + good day.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Doing nothing is not a good option.

Detailed Answer:
Not doing anything gives a 5% of colon cancer. Colonoscopy complications are possible in less than 1 %. So as you can see, colon cancer is more possible than colonoscopy complications.
Maybe your reaction for intestine preparation 10 years ago was only incidental. It does not mean that you will get the same reaction this time.

Follow-up: Colonoscopy left with nauseous and vomiting yellow substance. Have lung cancer. Suggestions? 3 hours later
Thank you very much; your advise very helpful. Will do c'scope next week.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.