Colonoscopy and flexure biopsy revealed ulcertation and changes of collagenous colitis. What do you recommend?

General Surgeon
I am 54; 5'2" and 120 pounds. I recently had a colonoscopy and splenic flexure biopsy revealing an ulcertation and changes of collagenous colitis. the person who did the colonscopy cannot treat and I must wait two months to see a specialist. Any recommendations?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Collagenous colitis is an inflammatory ailment or disease of large gut with peak incidence in the 5th decade of life, more common in women than men.

Signs and symptoms involves watery diarrhea, in the absence of rectal bleeding.

In the past it was rarely diagnosed but recently more and more cases are seen and diagnosed.

Diagnosis can only be made or confirmed with with colonoscopic biopsy

Radiological tests, like barium enema are generally normal.

The exact cause of collagenous colitis is not known, but the effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like diclofenac sodium are commonly implicated.

Smoking has also been implicated as a risk factor for this disease .

Treatment of collagenous colitis is challenging.

An association between collagenous colitis and celiac disease has also been reported by some people.

With this background I would like to make the following recommendations.

Stop using proton pump inhibitors till you get an appointment with gastroenterologist.

Eat a well balanced and fiber XXXXXXX diet. Decrease the consumption of coffee and fat XXXXXXX diets.

Drink adequate amounts of fluids, but not the aerated(Carbonated) beverages.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.