Colon removed. Got inflammation in throat and esophagus, having slurred speech. Related to colectomy?

ENT Specialist
I have a friend who had 1 foot of his colon removed. Shortly thereafter, he began to have difficulty talking. His thoughts were clear but the words wouldn't come out. Now he has inflammation in his throat, esophagus, and sinuses and his speech is slurred. Additionally, he has terrible coughing fits where it sounds like he may actually vomit. CAT scans have revealed no issues with his brain. What could be the trouble?
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 42 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. It is highly unlikely that this is directly related to the partial colectomy.

2. One possibility is that there was some trauma during intubation if the procedure was done under general anesthesia. Check his operative notes.

3. This would explain the cough, reflux, throat and esophagus swelling, but not the sinusitis or slurred speech.

4. It will be better to send him for a complete evaluation by a physician. These could be symptoms of drug interactions. Check if he is on any medication.

5. Get a videolaryngoscopy or a stroboscopy done. A barium swallow study may help. You may share any investigation results, endoscopy and scan images, if any.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.