Colon cancer survivor, suffering from neuropathy. Why is there pain in lower back and rectum? Multiple Sclerosis?

I'm 50 yrs old & a two time colon cancer suvior 1st diag. 2009 2nd 1yr later in 2010 it's been about two months since my last maintance treatment with Avastin I still suffer from neuropothy in hands & feet from the oxiplaton in my first chemo. I'm now having pain is in my lower back, shooting pains down my rectum, I'm numb on the right pelvic bone and inner thigh and XXXXXXX muscle/bone pain in my right leg the whole leg, my skin also hurts on the back of my upper leg and buttocks I thought I was getting shingles again that was the area I had them before but that never happen. Pain pills dont help the pain in my leg My ct scan and MRI of the abdominal area showed nothing was found I'm set up for a MRI of my spine this thur.. I also have a kidney stent i was told something something is pushing on my ureter dont know what? Was told it may be scar tissue, this causes pain in my right area of my bladder. About a 6 to 9 mths prior to my 1st diag. I woke up and could hardly walk I had to assist my right leg I thought maybe I had a stroke but it was only my right leg that had a problem it was like this for a few days then started to get better butvlasted for several months I never saw a doctor.. Don't know if that could be related to this.. I found out my cousin has MS I fear that might be what I have??
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 10 hours later

Regarding the above symptoms mentioned to me it looks like you are most probably suffering from Right sided lumbo-sacral plexopathy. Among the non-diabetics reasons include neoplastic, para-neoplastic, post radiation plexopathy. Tumor invasion, either local or metastatic, can also lead to lumbo-sacral plexopathy. However there is no tumor recurrence in you.

Lumbosacral plexopathy (NLP) is confirmed by Magnetic Resonant Imaging (MRI) of the lower back and the plexus. Nerve conduction studies reveals abnormalities in almost all patients with neoplastic lumbosacral plexopathy. Based on these you may require other tests like blood work up and CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) studies if required.

I personally feel it is not a symptom of Multiple Sclerosis and more likely to be a plexopathy. So I personally feel you need to XXXXXXX your General Practitioner and Neurologist for confirming the same. You need MRI of the back with ENMG (Electroneuromyography) studies to confirm the same. Till then you can try other medicines for neuropathic pain like Gabapentin, Pregabalin and Carbamazepine along with Nortryptyline.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R