Colles fracture on the wrist, memory loss, high cholesterol, CT scan report normal, history of sensitive stomach

Cardiac Surgeon
Hi Doctor
My fathers has suffered colles fracture in his left wrist in the bathroom when he went to take a bath a few days back.
In the morning of this incident, he as usual got up early but didn't feel like going for a morning walk which he usually goes for.
He doesn't remember what happened and how it happened. He came out of the bathroom by himself after few minutes and started complaining of pain in his wrist. We are contemplating that it might have been a momentarily Blackout when he fell and fractured his wrist.
He doesn't have memory of this event and was repeating words/sentences that day.
We went to an orthopedic first and got his hand plastered. His ECG and brain's CT scan reports have come out to be Normal.
His blood glucose test is also normal.
Since the Orthopedic surgeon brought him out of OT
it has been 3-4 days and now we see that his right hand is showing blood clot patch around his veins above the wrist on the inner side of the hand. We think it might be because of saline/anaesthesia in the OT but not sure.
He doesn't have a medical history of cardiac or neurological ailments.
But we know for sure that he usually is under good amount of stress in his workplace and lately has been under stress for personal reasons too.
He seems all-right now but we are worried and confused as to whether to go to a cardiologist/neurologist? We are trying to get his diet as healthy as possible.

Patient's Name: Mr. XXXXXXX P
Patient's Age: 54
Sex: M
Height:5ft 7 inches
Medical History: Has a sensitive stomach and he usually has a stomach upset if the food is spicy.
Also, he has consistently had a bit high cholestrol level (around 240-260) over the past few years.

Pls. suggest on the above situation

Thanks & Regards XXXXXXX P
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ravindra Setty B.R. 23 hours later

The cause for the Colles Fracture could be the fall after giddiness while passing urine which is called as "Micturation Syncope". This is a phenomenon of fainting shortly after or during urination. It is due to stimulation of Vagus nerve due to increased strain during urination.

Even stress could be contributory factor in this.

I feel, he needs evaluation by a Neurologist to rule out the other causes of his giddiness.

He also needs consultation with Cardiologist for the high cholesterol. He requires medications for his high Cholesterol, if he is not taking currently. Medications belonging to Statin group will help him reduce cholesterol.

I hope, this answers all your queries.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.