Collar injury, doctors suggest pin insertion surgery, sling and ayurvedic treatment. Can we avoid a surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dear Doctor,
My brother recently hurt his collar bone while playing football. One doctor has suggested a pin inserting surgery to repair the fracture. Another one has suggested just a good sling or even ayurvedic treatment, since he is only 14 years old.
Please advice- can we avoid a surgery? coz it is quite expensive for us. The accident happened on 8th XXXXXXX Are we delaying the procedure unnecessarily?
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
I have seen the picture attached with the query.
Fractures of clavicle bone in a 14 year old usually heal nicely without the help of surgery and a very good remodelling will bring the bone to its normal shape in 4-6 months.
A surgery can be avoided in this case. He can use a clavicular brace and an arm sling for 5-6 weeks for proper healing. Please do not worry. He will be fine without any deformities or complications.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.