Collar bone pain, numbness on finger. Worried about Pancoast tumor. Any way to rule this out without going to ER?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
I have a sharp pain just below my collar bone..its on and off for the last 8 mo.I feel it daily but not steady. If I lean on my left elbow by pinky and ring finger goes numb. Im worried about Pancoast tumor. Any way to rule this out without going to the ER?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1.You seem to be suffering from hiatus hernia. Most probably you must have been operated for it.

2. Pain below the colar bone is sometimes associated with such conditions.

3. The symptom of pain in the fingers when you lean on your elbow is also normal considering the pressure on the elbow where the nerve supplying these fingers pass.

4. However do get a chest xray pa view done to rule out any major abnormality. HRCT scan thorax will definitely exclude any involvement of disease process in the thorax.

5. Pancoast is not a common condition. Cervical ribs are more common.

6. Thus you should visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated.

7. Also I would like to mention that its never too late to quit smoking, in case you smoke currently.

8. In absence of any thoracic involvement like cervical rib, thoracic outlet syndrome, pancoast tumor, etc. you need to get your nerve conduction studies ti rule out neuropathy.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Collar bone pain, numbness on finger. Worried about Pancoast tumor. Any way to rule this out without going to ER? 32 minutes later
Thank you for your response.
Just a follow up comment...
I have not had surgery for my hernia per the Drs advice of long term success rate vs. potential complications after the scope.

Thanks for your input.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 55 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Considering the fact that you haven't had surgery as per your doctor's advise, please bring it to his notice your recent symptoms of pain below the collar bone. Review of treatment might help you.

Also please visit a pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated as I have mentioned previously.

And please close this discussion if all your queries are answered.

Wish you a healthy recovery from your symptoms.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB