Collar bone fracture after injury. Severe pain while coughing. What is the treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My Brother in law met an accident 2 days ago. He was not hit by anything but fell from the bike he was driving. He was unconscious and not aware what happened. He is suffering very severe pain in side bones and local doctor confirmed that collar bone was broken. He is experiencing lot of pain now. If he coughs, his pain increases. He is on bed now.

What do you recommend to fix this issue? How serious is this?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
After an accident, a detailed proper examination and related X-rays can only find the extent of injury. If it is only a collar bone fracture without any lung or abdominal injury then there is nothing worrisome. Collar bone fractures usually heal in 6-8 weeks with proper rest. You need to get an X-ray chest done to find out any chest wall injuries as he is feeling pain while coughing.
Most of the times it is the oral pain killers and hot fomentation provide adequate relief in 3-4 weeks.
This does not seem to be a serious injury if chest injury and abdominal injuries are ruled out.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.