Collar bone broken in an accident. Took treatment but no use. What will happen if it is left untreated?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Doctor I am 33 years old i met an accident during 2007 and collor bone had broken, i have taken treatment with slings. but it is not reunion again, now i am living with broken collor bone. please let me know if broken bone left untreated i.e not joined would lead any serious problem , kindly suggest .Thanks in advance.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can cause persistent pain.

Detailed Answer:
A nonunion of fractured collar bone is rarely asymptomatic and commonly results in disability from pain at the site of nonunion, altered shoulder mechanics, or a compression involving the underlying brachial plexus or vascular structures.
If you are having a persistent pain in the area, inability to move the shoulder joint completely, or nerve compression symptoms like tingling and numbness of the fingers then treatment is required by surgical fixation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Collar bone broken in an accident. Took treatment but no use. What will happen if it is left untreated? 2 hours later
Doctor whether broken collor bone reunion is possible after several years by a surgical treatment? or any complication may be there . please advice.Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes. It can unite with surgical treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
The reunion of the broken bone after several years of injury is only possible with the help of surgical reduction and XXXXXXX fixation. It will not heal without a surgical intervention.
In 2-5% of cases, even after the surgery, the union may not occur and other surgical complications like infection may happen.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.