Colic baby, colicaid, no improvement, while crying turns red, kicks, tight tummy, overfeeding, rashes, cold, father suffering from chicken pox. Precautionary measures?

I have 1 month old baby. She has colic and taking colicaid(3 drops for 3 times a day, not everyday though). But we are not seeing any improvement. Do we need to give it regularly. BTW, she turns red while crying and throws her legs, her tummy becomes tight, she is sucking more(overfeeding). One more thing she has developped a lot of rashes(a local doctor told it as acne), we were concerned as I (the father) am sufferring from chicken pox for past 6 days, and I am staying isolated. What can we do better to protect her from this contagious disease. Also she is sufferring from cold for last 15 days or so.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 50 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

It is very common to have Colic in newborn babies which is more during first 3 to 4 months of life and can even extend for a year.The baby screams very loudly without any reason and it can even extend for hours.

Do not be stressed as it is common for babies to scream when they have colic.Colicaid is the usual medicine prescribed for it and you can give it daily 3 times a day for a month or so as it is not harmful.Colic can be due to various factors as gas formation,incomplete digestion as the baby is only on milk which is difficult to digest initially.

Some suggestions for you:
1)Always burp the baby after feed by patting the back after holding her on shoulder.
2)If she is breast feeding ask the mother to reduce intake of things which cause gas formation and are not easy to digest as beans,cabbage,onion,tea,coffee etc.
3)Feed baby frequently and every two hours.Remember a child does not overfeed.It might be either she is hungry and is not able to suck properly and is taking more of air inside while feeding as first time mothers do have problem in feeding.
4)Put the baby in swinging position as it has soothing effect.
5)Try singing a lullabuy as babies like them.

If colicaid is not helping then some antispasmodic can be given when required but kindly discuss with your treating Doctor regarding this.

Regarding the rash it can be an infection,allergy etc.If they are simple pink pimple like then it is a common condition called neonatal acne due to maternal hormones.They usually persist for a month or so.Another ones are little white bumps on the nose and face known as Milia which also disappear after few weeks.

It is also better that you remain isolated from the baby for 15 days since you are suffering from chicken pox.

For the cold it is due to the changing climatic conditions in Bangalore.You can use Rhine nasal drop after consulting your physician 15 minutes before feed 3 times a day for few months.Cold might also be preventing her to suck properly so give the drops before feed.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.
Follow-up: Colic baby, colicaid, no improvement, while crying turns red, kicks, tight tummy, overfeeding, rashes, cold, father suffering from chicken pox. Precautionary measures? 50 minutes later
Thanks doctor. I have one more query, when should we suspect a chicken pox of the baby? since there are already so many rashes on her body, if we miss the blisters can it be harmful? And is there any preventive medicine for the mother which can protect her as well from pox?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 10 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

Usually chicken pox rashes start from the legs and arms and then spread to face and other areas.It starts with a red spot and bump and the next day many other bumps appear and the previous one turns into a blister.It may be accompanied by fever.

Since you have the infection chances of spreading it are higher as it is very contagious.So it will be better to get the rashes clinically examined.

It is better if your wife also is not in contact with you.

Regarding the medication I am sorry Chicken Pox vaccine is given after a year only to child.

Wishing Good health to baby!