Cold,cold sores,fatigue,sleepy

i also feel sleepy alot but that might be effects of hard work cause im in the army i also alway seem to have a slight cold also get coldsores sometimes i dont think its normal can you help me here
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 19 minutes later

Yes, hard work and stress can cause excessive sleepiness.

In addition, many medical conditions like hypothyroidism, metabolic anomalies also can cause such issues.

To rule out other causes, you may choose to get a few blood tests including
1. complete blood count
2. Chem 14 panel
3. Thyroid function tests

Based on these lab results additional testing or treatment can be decided.

Other measures that can help reduce your sleepiness, include
1. Proper diet and physical exercise
2. Stop smoking and alcohol (if you do)
3. Maintaining a healthy BMI ( less than 25).

Presence of cold sores is a benign issue, which can be precipitated due to stressful situations.

Cold sores — also called fever blisters — are fluid-filled lesions caused by take steps to reduce their frequency and to limit the duration of an occurrence. Cold sores generally clear up without treatment within about two weeks.

Treatment can help in early resolution of symptoms. Some measures include topical anesthetics including Lidocaine (may provide short-term pain relief) and Benzocaine (Zilactin).

In case, you have frequent bouts of coldsores, and increased discomfort during illnesses, treatment with antiviral medications (with prescriptions) can be helpful.

I hope this helps. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.