Cold when I drink water at night, throat pain, sneezing,fever. Could this be infection of glands or allergy?

Good Morning.
I am suffering from cold since last 2 days.
I have noticed when i drink water at night the same problem persists
it starts from pain in throat then sneezing then fever & it takes 2-3 days to overcome. could this be glands infection or allergy
pls advice for future
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 minutes later

From the symptoms it looks like a viral sore throat and infection rather than an upper respiratory tract allergy. Allergic rhinitis causes runny nose, sneezing, watering from the eyes, post nasal drip and Itchy ears, nose, and throat. It should not cause fever unless there is an infection present.

Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.

Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help in opening the sinus congestion.
Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.