Cold, throat pain, pain around eyes and cheeks, may be due to sinus infection. Can you suggest medicine?

ENT Specialist
I have cold and throat pain for 2 days. Now i have pain around the eyes and checks. I think its because of sinus infection. Can u suggest me medicine for this problem?
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later

Thanks for the query

Going by the description mentioned by you, it seems to be you are suffering from acute sinusitis.

Following are the home remedies and the medicines commonly used for the treatment of sinusitis:

1. Drink plenty of warm water - helps in reducing the consistency of the secretions and opening up of the blocked sinuses and the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).
2. Do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this works in the same way as mentioned above.
3. Avoid cold beverages and coffee for few days - this prevents the mucus secretions from becoming more viscid.

Medicines such as:

1. Saline nasal spray - to be used 3-4 times/day, to help in clearing of the nasal and sinus secretions.
2. A mucolytic - Bromhexine or Ambroxol to thin down the sinus and nasal secretions.
3. A pain reliever - such as Diclofenac or Ibuprofen can be used.
4. Finally, if the symptoms do not improve, you can try with antibiotics such as a combination of Amoxycillin & Clavulanic acid or Cefuroxime.

I am sorry, during the online consultation there are certain limitations wherein we are not supposed to mention the dosage and duration of the medicines, as it requires a complete examination and prescription by the doctor.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon