Cold symptoms,sore throat,congestion,painful lumps on roof of mouth,under skin,extreme painful

Question
I have had cold symptoms for about 1 week now. It started as a sore throat and congestion and has now turned into painful lumps on the roof of my mouth, on the back of my soft palate, where it meets the hard palate. They are under the skin and are extremely painful. This happened to me once before and lasted weeks. Every time one would go away, another would appear somewhere else. That was about 5 months ago and now it's back. What would cause this and how can I help it go away?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

From your description it seems that the cold and sore throat that you developed has now developed into tonsillitis and the swellings you are seeing on your back of the throat are your swollen tonsils. Usually these are associated with difficulty in swallowing, cough and fever.

1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.

2)For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids.

3)Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Soar Substances.

4)Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must to get relief ans you can start taking them in consultation with your physician who will tell you the most appropriate schedule for you after proper examination.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.