Cold sweats, nausea, bloating and sudden weight gain before periods. No change in diet. Is this normal?

I have constant cold sweats. I wake up sweat and cold in the middle of the night leave my clothes drenced. Near the time of my mense i have severe nausea and bloating. The nausea is so bad I can hardly eat and the bloating is bad too. I recently had a sudden weight gain of five to eight pounds in my waist. Im not sure why this happened my diet did not change. What is this? my last mense was 1/14/12 it is usually 21 days but it changes every six months or so.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later

1. The symptoms of fatigue, bloating, nausea, breast tenderness (mastalgia), acne, and appetite changes with food cravings are commonly a part of pre menstrual syndrome and are a normal finding just before beginning of menstruation.
If these symptoms are troubling you, you can try symptomatic treatment of pain and nausea using over the counter pain reliever and anti nausea pills. For better treatment, they need to be taken 2 days prior to the expected periods according to the severity of symptoms.

Premenstrual symptoms are common in many menstruating women and is not a concerning problem.

In addition some general managements including healthy lifestyle like physical exercise and proper diet can benefit you. Further family and friends can provide emotional support during the time of your cycle which has been very helpful in many women suffering with premenstrual symptoms. Lastly I also advice you to avoid salt before the menstrual period, reduce caffeine intake, quit smoking, reduce alcohol intake and reduce intake of refined sugars.

2. The cold sweats that you describe are probably not related to your premenstrual symptoms. Medically such symptoms are often associated with hormonal / metabolic abnormalities. The associated weight gain and short length of cycle also indicate the same. It warrants a review with your physician. A detailed physical examination and evaluation will be helpful.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.