Cold since a week, irritable in evening time, no fever. Is it Viral & should start an antibiotic?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi there,
i have a daughter who is 2 yrs n 3 months old.her weight is 11.2kgs.frm last one week she is having cold n she is very irritable particularly in the she suffering frm viral fever.m i supposed to start an antibiotic.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello .
Thanks for posting your query .
Viral infections do resolve on their own in a week or two , I would say an average of ten days .
Irritability of children in colds is due to nasal congestion and sometimes generalised weakness and bodyache
There is no need of antibiotics in such case where there are no complications like fever, breathlessness,progessive cough or wheeze or worsening symptoms like increased sputum( yellow to XXXXXXX pus like) , or earache or sinusitis.
Antibiotics may be required if any of these are present or if doctor suspects bacterial infection on clinical examination.
So the best way to confirm and treat would be to consult a pediatrician for thorough examination
and if required tests like blood counts, xrays etc.
Till then you should keep your child well hydrated and well fed, give her warm saline gargles, steam inhalations and saline nose drops thrice daily.
You may wait for a couple of days more to watch for response, if symptoms persist or she develops any new symptoms or complications, then kindly seek prompt consultation.
Follow-up: Cold since a week, irritable in evening time, no fever. Is it Viral & should start an antibiotic? 2 days later
now my daughters cold has subsided but she is passing motions 3 times a day from the last three days.the stools are not loosebut they are soft though and foul smelling.we consulted a pediatrician n he has prescribed econorm XXXXXXX 2 times a day for 5 days and ZINCONIA SYRUP 5 ml once a day for 5 it ok.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
Loose motions often follow a cold in viral infections.
Don’t worry as the treatment given is appropriate comprising of a probiotic i.e. econorm and zinc for better and faster recovery.
She should feel better in two to three days, at the maximum a week.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing her good health,