Cold, runny nose, sneezing, cough, chest congestion. High AEC. Triggered by cold air and rain. Anything to minimize it?

Dear Doctor, I usually suffer multiple times in a year from Cold, Runny Nose, Sneezing which continues for few days or weeks and then it converts to cough, chest congestion, yellow XXXXXXX phlegm. I got the CBC and Absolute Eosinophil Count done and the result is higher AEC (1343 cells/cumm). I also noticed that cold air, rainy weather and even office AC sometimes triggers it. Kindly please advice me. Besides medicines is there anything (change in life style, exercice, home remedies etc.) I can do to minimize it and live a healthy life as others. Thanks in Advance.
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Thanks for your question.
I saw your report.
You have been suffering from allergic rhinitis as evidenced by increased absolute eosinophilic count and your symptomatology proves that.
The basic treatment of this disease by medicine and they are the best. Beside medication you can follow some principles that may improve your condition.
1.     First do a skin IgE allergen test to identify the allergy and try to avoid them by food, environment, touch etc.
2.     Controlling dust and dust mites. For example, dust regularly and wash bed linens in hot water.
3.     Controlling animal dander and other pet allergens. One way to do this is to restrict pets to certain areas of your home.
4.     Controlling indoor molds. Clean bathtubs and showers monthly.
5.     Avoiding outdoor pollens. This includes staying inside while pollen counts are high.
If avoiding allergens doesn't help your symptoms or is not possible
•     You may try taking over-the-counter allergy medicines to relieve symptoms. You can treat a stuffy nose by using decongestants or nasal steroid spray or cleaning your nasal passages with saline solution (salt water).
Please consult with your physician for final opinion.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly