Cold, running nose, allergy to dust or AC. Medication available, apart from surgery? Preventative measures?

ENT Specialist
My wife is having morning cold and running nose alomost everyday. She is having nasal devilation and allergy to dust/AC. Her age is 26. without undergoing nasal surgery, is there is any medication available? Currently she used take "Okacet" when it is severe. Please suggest proper medication.Also please suggest preventive measures and diet for this.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

With the brief history you have mentioned, it seems to be your wife is suffering from Allergic Rhinitis.

Allergic Rhinitis is one of the commonest nasal problems encountered. The saddest part of this problem is that, it cannot be permanent cured. Whatever medicines she takes, she will be alright till the effect of medicines remains, but once the effect weans off, the symptoms will recur.

Allergic rhinitis can be associated with various other problems such as formation of the nasal polyp, blockage of the opening of the sinuses, fungal infection and recurrent sinusitis (infection of the sinuses).

In your query, you have not mentioned about the indication of surgery, hence it is difficult for me to comment about the necessity of the surgery. If you can mail me the CT scan pictures if any, I will be able to comment regarding this.

Secondly, it would be appropriate for her to start using steroid nasal spray such as Fluticasone or Momentasone for a period of 3-4 months to reduce her allergic symptoms and use Cetrizine (Okacet) only when the symptoms are severe. In spite of using all these medicines she is not feeling better, then she would require mast cell stabilizers (such as Ketotifen).

Preventive measures include:
1. Change of pillow covers every night, before going to bed.
2. If using ceiling fan, then to lie down away from the fan.
3. If using A/C, then ensure that the blower of the A/C is not directed towards the bed and also to maintain the temperature of the A/C to 24-25 degree centigrade.
4. Whenever exposed to dust or smoke, cover the nose with a clean handkerchief.
5. Avoid those foods which induce allergy such as chilled food, egg, milk, fish, chicken, etc. (this you will have to find it out by trying out the items individually).

Hope I have answered your query; I will available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon