Cold, non-productive cough, wheezing, difficulty sleeping

Have had a cold, now have a non productive cough with wheezing in my chest, feel as though I need to bring up phlegm, wish I could.
I am male, 66
Difficult to sleep when lying down because of wheezing
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
From your history it seems that you are having chronic bronchitis. Wheezing and impacted phelgem need systemic antibiotics to deal with the infection you are having in your airways. You will have to consult your physician to get the best antibiotic and brochodilators prescribed for you. Steroids- both oral and inhalers might be needed for symptomatic relief.
However the best treatment for impacted mucus is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.
If you have fever or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.