Cold-like symptoms, no fever. Is this a normal reaction to healing after adenotonosillectomy?

My husband had an adenotonsillectomy last Thursday. He's on oxycodone for pain (though he has not used it for a day and half currently) and amoxicillin. He's complaining of coldlike symptoms (fogginess and a semblance of pressure above his right eye) but he hasn't had a fever. Is this a normal reaction to the healing process, or should he go back to the doctor? He's only been out for 5 days at this point, but his followup isn't for a couple of weeks.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

The heaviness your husband is feeling above his right eye is most likely due to local swelling around the sinuses. Such mild subcutaneous swelling is common after such surgeries. There is nothing to worry. The swelling will subside in 5-7 days.

If the sensation worsens then you need to consult your physician for a local examination. You can otherwise mention it to your surgeon during your follow up visit.

I hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.