Cold hands led to pain in arms, elbows and legs. Blood tests show iron deficiency. No arthritis. What can help?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I`ve been having cold hands in the beginning of January for a few weeks. Then it went over to pain in my arms( elbow down) äfter a while to my feet and legs (down the knees). i have been sweeting excessively during the nights. I`ve been to doctors. Blood test shows iron deficiency. but they don`t know what the pain depends on. I am also very tired and without energy. For two days ago I got iron tablets. but the seems to be spreading further in mjy legs and hands.
I`ve been taking painkillers nonstop in more than three weeks now. Xray of my abdominal and lungs and chests showed nothing and no arthritis in my hands and legs.
Can you help me?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later

Considering your history the most likely possibilities in your case would be
1.a neuropathic pain either vitamin B 12 deficiency, age related degenerative compression on spinal nerves, or any other sensory neuropathy.
2 Peripheral vascular disease or ischemia..
Since you have been evaluated by a doctor and investigated the chances are less that they might have missed a vascular pathology but occasionally in mild early cases only an ultrasound doppler or angiogram of peripheral vessels would be able to detect it apart from clinical examination techniques.Since you mention coldness of periphery, a vascular problem can cause frequently cold limbs due to decreased blood supply and when the supply decreases critically the muscles have ischemic pain.
I would advise you first take some B complex supplements to watch for any relief.
If problem persists then get yourself evaluated by a neurologist or vascular surgeon for confirming the diagnosis.
Pain killers might be ineffective if the cause remains untreated.
The fatigue you experience might be due to anemia and will take a few weeks of iron therapy before it resolves
Please do not worry, avoid stress, smoking, caffeine and alcohol to have better relief.
Also try to include a mild exercise schedule like yoga in your daily lifestyle.
If you notice any twitches, discolouration or motor weakness of limbs then please do seek prompt consultation with an urgent care facility.

Hope I have answered your query