Cold hands and feet, shaky, BP medication causing lightheadedness. What could it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My boyfriend (30 yr old) has cold hands and feet and feels very shaky- it's been going on a couple hours. He denies pain or other symptoms. What could it be? He has not taking any meds now. He tried a BP medication a few times (intermittently) but stopped over a week ago because he didn't know what was making him lightheaded. He is not lightheaded now.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Is he sweating as well, any headache ?

Is he on diuretics or water pills ?

Is he on any medication ?

Thee is a possibility your boyfriend is dehydrated which can explain the cold hands and tremors. Also do get his blood sugar estimated because sometimes persons with very low blood sugar can also feel the same. Even is his blood pressure has dropped if he has accidently taken BP medication or any other medication, he can experience same symptoms. Kindly keep him warm with a blanket.

Sometimes persons with severe infection in the body can also present with this kind of problem so he will need a detailed examination by his Doctor.

The fact that he is very thirsty could signify polydipsia. This symptoms could be attributed to his Diabetes but sometime obese persons also develop this symptom. He will need to get it evaluated to find the cause, so that the specific treatment can be given.Since Chem panel is normal, it could signify simple polydipsia and may not need any major medical intervention.

Kindly get him evaluated by his Internist. Let him keep well hydrated. Keep his blood sugar and blood pressure in check. Eat a balanced diet. Exercise daily.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.