Cold followed by throbbing in eye and ear causing blocking, ringing in ears. Help?

ENT Specialist
Hi. Please if you van help me I'll appreciate it. I've had a cold or flu for few days now but yesterday my left eye and left ear started throbbing so badly with the left hear blocked. Now it's a continuous ringing sound in my ears. Please help
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Such symptoms indicate the possibility of Sinusitis and Eustachian Tube blockage due to the cold or flu.

2. Throbbing pain usually indicates trapped purulent secretions.

3. Since this is more than a common cold, and you have Tinnitus (Ringing in the ear), I recommend that you seek immediate medical examination. An ear, nose, throat and eye examination will help. Hearing tests (Pure Tone Audiometry and Impedance Audiometry), Sinus X-rays and blood tests may be prescribed by your doctor.

4. Request your doctor to start broad spectrum antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic decongestants, mucolytics and plain steam inhalation. Local OTC nasal decongestant drops on the Left side may help. However, rebound congestion may be expected.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.