Cold, dry cough, breathing problem, sleepy, body ache, throat pain. Pregnant. Taken antibiotics. No relief.

ENT Specialist
Question
cold I've been sick for more then ten days I have cold it's dry I have a hard time breathing I'm pregnant I'm always sleepy my head hurts my body aches my throat hurts I went to the er room but doctor did not do anything she gave antibiodits I went four days ago and I feel much worse
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 58 minutes later

Thank you for writing in.

1. Nasal obstruction during pregnancy is common, even without a cold. This may worsen following a cold.

2. Colds are viral or allergic and the treatment is aimed at providing symptomatic relief. I would also like to know the duration of your pregnancy. In general, medicines which are safe for pediatric use are safe to use during pregnancy. You need to take anti-allergic medication like cetrizine. If you are already on an anti-allergic, it may be causing the sleepiness and the nasal dryness. In such a case, a mucolytic and saline nasal drops help.

3. Steam inhalation is safer than decongestants and only a short course of paracetamol is recommended for headache. Nasal dryness causes breathlessness. Occasional nasal decongestant drops may help. However, all this medication should only be taken under strict medical supervision.

4. X-rays and scans are not recommended due to radiation risk to the foetus. Further treatment will have to wait. Take rest and keep yourself hydrated.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them,

Regards.

Follow-up: Cold, dry cough, breathing problem, sleepy, body ache, throat pain. Pregnant. Taken antibiotics. No relief. 5 hours later
I am only six weeks pregnant
Follow-up: Cold, dry cough, breathing problem, sleepy, body ache, throat pain. Pregnant. Taken antibiotics. No relief. 1 minute later
I just don't feel like it's a common cold when j cough it hurts,

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If you are feeling sick, insist on a basic blood test and a throat swab for culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

2. It is not clear whether you have fever or not and whether supportive medication has been started.

3. You may start a cough suppressant (not expectorant) syrup under medical supervision. Many medicines are to be used with caution in the first trimester (three months) of pregnancy.

4. Do you have 'morning sickness' or nausea commonly seen in early pregnancy? Vomiting and acid reflux can also cause your throat to hurt. There is immune suppression in early pregnancy to help prevent rejection of the fetus. This makes you more prone to infections.

Regards.

Follow-up: Cold, dry cough, breathing problem, sleepy, body ache, throat pain. Pregnant. Taken antibiotics. No relief. 10 hours later
no I have not any morning sickness put when I went to the er I did not get no strep throat test done nothing all she did was look at my throat and said your sick I'll give anibioditics which in my option I have not felt any better I feel to be getting worse to tthe point where I don't want to eat my nose is starting to Peel from where I clean my ears are starting to help
Follow-up: Cold, dry cough, breathing problem, sleepy, body ache, throat pain. Pregnant. Taken antibiotics. No relief. 0 minute later

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Just follow the instructions above. You will get better soon. You may add a medicated gargle to soothe your throat.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Regards.