Cold, cough, fatigue, stiffness in the mornings. Abnormal glucose levels. Have to take anti CCP, ANA, CRP tests. Advice?

I had few health problems recently, cold, cough and too much fatigue. Due to too much tiredness i am unable to concentrate on my work. This made me to go for a master health checkup and got my results. Some of the abnormal results are... my platelet counts elevated to 4,67,000, monocytes to 13%, ESR to 41%, HDL:LDL ratio is high, Glucose F is 104 and PP is 205. After meeting a physician as part of the master health check-up, he wanted me to take Gamma Interfeon (as I explained that my uncle had TB before one year) and RA factor. Gamma interfeon test was normal but RA factor was about 28 as the normal range accepted is about 20. I am having numbness, stiffness in the morning for the past one year. I met a rheumotologist recently and she asked me to take Anti CCP, XXXXXXX CRP and some more tests. I am waiting for the results. Meantime I am getting too much of giddiness which is uncontrollable. I took off to my office for the past one week as I am unable to concentrate on work due to the tiredness that I have. I am much worried about the dry cough that I have (uncontrollable), sudden fatigue and the giddiness. I feel of getting admitted to a hospital immediately. Does the symptoms have any serious issues.. please advice me...
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Giddiness, fatigue - would be most likely due to the lowered blood glucose levels, considering your abnormal glucose tests. Another reason is the rheumatic process itself. Ideally, glucose levels should be checked when these symptoms are manifested, to confirm the diagnosis. Else, try eating a spoon or two of glucose powder immediately when you experience these symptoms. Get reviewed for diabetes too.

Dry cough can be a part of the whole rheumatoid syndrome that is in the process of diagnosis in your case. You could try some soothening agents over the counter.

These symptoms would not require immediate hospital care unless:
Severe giddiness/fainting, cough that would debilitate your lifestyle, severe joint aches indicative of crests in the rheumatoid history etc.

Your doctors are right on track with the numerous tests for you. You should do well in general after treatment starts. So, I reiterate that the above symptoms I explained to you are of benign quality as of now, and you would not likely need immediate care. Keep a watch and try to relax.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.