Cold, chest congestion, mosquito bite on ankle, itching. Enlarged inguinal lymph nodes, throat discomfort. Help

I went on vacation in Florida where i layed on the beach for three days .out of nowhere i woke up extremely congsted and developed a cold/chest congestion.two days later I got back to TN & noticed a mosquito like bite on my ankle.after itching it ,more started appearing slowly. I had pulled several ticks of me as well , a week before my inguinal lymph nodes are enlarged and my throat feels like something is constantly stuck in it,worse when swallowing and my epiglottis looks like it is stuck upwards.My throat has really been irritating me and the discomfort won't go away.
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later

Welcome !

I would be pleased to answer your question .

Viral Flu , Rickettsial Fever should be ruled out .

Please do visit a physician who would search for such infections . They will clinically examine you and ask for certain investigations and prescribe you certain antibiotics and anti inflammatory .

The congestion will take at least 1 to 2 weeks to heal with empirical treatment

Thanks and Take care
Follow-up: Cold, chest congestion, mosquito bite on ankle, itching. Enlarged inguinal lymph nodes, throat discomfort. Help 10 hours later
Thank you for your advise:)
I saw a dermatologist who prescribed me an antibiotic.since taking the anti-biotics I've only gotten worse.he stated that I was bitten by no-seeums or sand flys.I have not followed up with the doctor and was concerned about my lymph nodes getting larger even though I am on an you recommend giving The antibiotic more time or should I follow up with my doctor even though he did not mention a follow up...I am only being cautious due to a close friend passing away last year from rocky mountain spotted fever with no rash and flu like symptoms,enlarged lymph nodes and taking an antibiotic then died 4 days later after she started the medication.

Please advise what you recoommend is necessary.

Thankk Youu
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 20 hours later
Thanks for the query posted .

My diagnosis regarding the Rikettsial seems to match with your friends Diagnosis of RMSF ( Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever ) which is a Rikettsial disease .
The antibiotic intake should be atleast 3 weeks for the effect to be seen .

You should surely see your doctor and discuss the above ,. The antibiotic of choice is Doxycycline .

Thanks and Take care .