Codeine, cough, severe chest pain, difficulty breathing, clammy skin, sweating

I am a 25yr old female I went to the doctor this past thursday and was prescribed cheritussin ac (with codine) for my cough. I took it friday and Saturday as prescribed and had no problems, so I took it again last night and was woken up by a very severe pain in my chest and could hardly breath my skin was clamy and I was soaked in sweat I felt like my diaphragm was going to explode out of my back. This lasted for apx 3 hours. It is now 10am andmy chest has started to squeeze again. What is going on??
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 32 minutes later

Codeine is relatively very safe medicine to help relief of cough.

It is unlikely that codeine had caused the problem suddenly when you had no problem for three days prior, though cannot be completely ruled out.

Now the symptoms you had described are sympathetic in nature, cold and clammy skin, soaked in sweat, chest pain needs immediate evaluation and I think you should no wait further and immediately seek help at ER.

Please do not waste time, it can be a temporary problem but needs answer.

Wish you Good Health