Cluster of bumps on penile shaft post manual stimulation from one with herpes. Chances of genital herpes?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I'm concerned I might have genital herpes. I received manual stimulation from a woman (who i later found out had herpes) I did not touch her genitalia at all. It's been about 5 days and i just noticed a cluster of small bumps on the shaft of my penis. i'm worried!
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX
Unfortunately it looks to me like viral STD,probably herpes type 2, but HPV or molluscum contagiosum cant be ruled out for sure. There is no point of thinking how did it happen. She might have been touching her genitals and then your genitals or virus could have been on her hands already. You shouldnt be worried so much,nothing serious can happen, this is not spread and it heals spontaneously sometimes, but I suggest to visit GP or pharmacist and ask for antiviral creams.It should pass on it after 7-10 days. If this persist then you should consider some other STD and do swab urethral testing. But go step by step. Inform your partner because she should be treated too. WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Cluster of bumps on penile shaft post manual stimulation from one with herpes. Chances of genital herpes? 6 minutes later
Thanks for the info, Doc. I did not understand what you meant when you said: "this is not spread, and it heals spontaneously sometimes". Herpes is treatable but incurable correct?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
I meant that this is just focal blisters cluster. It is not expanded in foreskin, glans penis or urethra. herpes lives in nerves and it become active and inactive many times during the life depending on our body immune system. Sometimes it can be inactive for the whole life and sometimes it can be refractory to any treatment. But in most cases it doesnt make some serious difficulties. Just take some aciklovir cream or tablets and if there is improvement you will be sure about the diagnosis.

Follow-up: Cluster of bumps on penile shaft post manual stimulation from one with herpes. Chances of genital herpes? 2 minutes later
Ok, thanks. Last question: since it is not spread throughout the penis now, does this mean recurring outbreaks will be confined to this one area? or will they be random? Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
It is hard to say will it spread because incubation time is up to 12 days,but most lesions are seen 3-4 days after exposure so this is good sign for you if these are the only skin changes. Just dont scratch or squeeze those blisters ,clean it with simple soaps and water and keep genital area dry. If you notice burning pain while urinating or pain in testicles then some per os medicines are needed.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Cluster of bumps on penile shaft post manual stimulation from one with herpes. Chances of genital herpes? 14 days later
Hi Doc,
I went to the clinic to have a swab done of the blisters. I'm concerned however that the doc did not swab correctly... I've heard you have to break open the blisters to get a good sample, not simply swab the area. at any rate, i got the results back today that said that the virus was "non-isolated" or in the words of my doctor "negative". However, today is day 15 since i discovered the blisters, and they are still here. They have not gotten better nor worse. No pain, no itching, but yet here they are. What do you think? what's my next step?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi again.

I strongly believe that it could probably be pathologic foreskin lesion which is probably caused by viral infection.

Other possible causes are allergies and irritation, but it wouldn't last for so long. Yes, he should break one blister, but I suggest to apply certain antiviral and antiinflamatory cream empirically. I suppose that doctor gave you something. So try with Acyclovir and Nystatin, nothing bad can happen. It can only be helpful if there is some infective disease.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Cluster of bumps on penile shaft post manual stimulation from one with herpes. Chances of genital herpes? 20 hours later
Thanks Doc. He did not give me a prescription, but I will try to obtain one. So you believe it's some sort of viral infection, does this mean there is still a high chance of it being herpes? It will be three weeks since the possible exposure tomorrow. Therefore I'm thinking of getting a blood test done on monday. Will the blood test be accurate enough (have i let enough time pass)?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi.
Well, more than 10-12 weeks should pass till HSV antibody are detectable by most tests so you should wait a bit more for it. This could be Herpes or HPV infection, and less possible it is moluscum contagiosum. I suggest to ask doctor for these medicines and wait for 2 more weeks and if you see vesicles filled with liquids, wet ulcers and dry crusts after this then it is herpes. ALso this time should be definitely enough for any non-infectious to heal.
Regards.