Cluster of brown raised pimples on cheeks. Need treatment

For the past few months I have had a cluster of small (pinhead size, a bit like grains of sand), brown, raised pimples or spots on one cheek; sometimes they are more pronounced than others. Please can you give me an idea as to what they are and how I can treat them? I'm female, 40 years old.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 21 hours later

On reading your query I can think of these possibilities

1. The pimples could be due to the side effect of Norgeston which is a hormonal preparation causing the ski changes, though you have been taking this from several years, they could still cause the changes now

2. These could mean an acne as well which may be due to a sudden change in lifestyle, diet changes, stress, hormonal changes in the body or even an underlying infection

3. This could even mean a condition known as Melasma,due to the "pill effect" which manifests as skin pigmentation which could have supervened by an infection causing acne.

4. This could be an allergic reaction to cosmetics, drugs or food changes

5. Dandruff of the scalp may cause pimples on the face.

I would suggest you see a dermatologist for a review on this , if it is acne you may have to start oral and topical antibiotics as well, if it is hormonal some changes in medications may be needed.

Simple keys which could help you for now :

1. Include a lot of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fruits, making your meal colorful, the anti oxidants will help in preventing the acne.
2. Drink lots of water in a day, opting for fresh fruit juices will be great.They hydrate the body
3. Choose a good face wash which suits your skin type . Cetaphil is a good face wash, go for it
4. Avoid cosmetics ,use mild products on face,get dandruff treated if present .
5. Minimize on coffee , tea and oily food as well.

If possible I would request you to attach your pictures and send it to YYYY@YYYY and write back your additional doubts in the follow up thread below

I will be available to answer your follow up questions as well .