Cluster of Microcalcifications, mammogram report, no lump, CC projection, taking calcium supplements. Cancer?

Cluster of Microcalcifications

I am 40 years old and had a mammogram on the 1st of this month here is what the report says

BREAST COMPOSITION: Heterogeneously dense, which may limit the sensitivity of mammography

FINDINGS: There is a cluster of microcalcifications seen in the posterior third of the tight breast. Projecting in the lateral quadrants not identified on the MLO view. Otherwise there are no suspicious mass lesions or areas of archetectural distortion.

IMPRESSION: Cluster of microcalcifications seen in the right breast only identified on the CC projection and may represent superimposed calcifications from different parts of the breast. Would recommend further evaluation with stepped obliques off the CC projection as well as spot magnification view of the right breast in CC projection and true 90 degree view of the right breast to further evaluate.

Could this mean there is a cyst? I have felt no lumps, but am experiencing pain in that breast. Where is "posterior third" on my breast? Is it upper or lower? I had mastitis in that breast 4 years ago. Could this be causing the cluster of microcalcifications now?

I am asking here because I did not talk to my doctor about this, I only talked to his nurse and she initially did not tell me about the cluster of microcalcifications, she just told me that by breasts are dense and they need more views. Why would she not tell me about the cluster of microcalcifications??

Could taking calcium supplements cause these microcalcifications? I just started taking them before I had my mammogram...

Thank you for your help.

I was reading on here that a woman was told that her cluster was benign and she got a second opinion and it ended up being cancer. How can i get a second opinion?

Oh also, when I wake up in the morning I have tiny what looks like blood (but not really bright red) on the upper part of my bra.I mean it is really small and not drops more like if someone were to wipe a drop... I do not see anything on my breast and I always have like crust on my nipples but not bad....I have always had this (the crust) and the crust is on the other nipple too (the other breast looked fine in the ultrasound) I do not have any blood on my bra or coming out of my breasts durning the day and even when I squeeze that breast a little nothing comes out. So i am not sure if it from the crust that is always on my nipple (Its in between the gaps on my nipple 0 or what. If it were ever there before I could have missed it because I never look at my bra like I do now....

It is so tiny you can barely see it..unless you look at it hard....
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 36 hours later

A Cluster of micro-calcification may be related to cancer but more often it is not. However, it definitely needs further evaluation including spot magnification and ultrasound. If it still remains suspicious then localisation by ultrasound and biopsy is indicated. I feel it is unlikely to be a cyst.

Posterior part means the deeper regions, towards the chest wall, which is difficult to feel.

I cannot say why the nurse did not mention about the micro-calcifications. May be it is beyond her perview.

Taking calcium supplements do not cause breast micro-calcifications.

Now to answer the last part of your query, it is possible that the blood came from the crusts. But we have to keep a distant possibility of it coming from inside the ducts. Hence it is important to do the further tests as advised. You can always take a second opinion from a dedicated breast service.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please feel free to ask any further queries.

Best wishes,