Ask a Urologist   »  

Cloudy urine, burning while urination, pain in the lower abdomen and back. Advice?

Neurologist, Surgical
About a week ago, I started having cramps in my lower left abdomen. Today, my lower left back has been hurting, and I felt burning when I urinated. My urine has been cloudy for the past week, as well.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 41 minutes later

After going through your past and present history, I feel the possibility of Recurrent Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Recurrent UTI is common problem in young healthy women.

Your last infection was inadequately treated due to intolerance to antibiotics. That could be the reason for this recurrence. Your crampy pain in abdomen could be due to involvement of urinary bladder. If left untreated, infection can travel upwards involving the kidneys as well.

So, I would suggests you not to ignore this issue and get yourself evaluated by your physician sooner. He may order urine routine and culture exam to confirm the cause. You may need Ultrasound of KUB (Kidney, urinary bladder) region to rule out other associated cause like renal stone, as you have left sided crampy abdominal pain and back pain.

If you are allergic to Macrobid, your physician can select other category of antibiotic after going through antibiotic sensitivity report.

Till then, drink plenty of water. Consume citrus foods like lemon, orange, etc to avoid acidic urine. That will help in reducing the burning urination.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.