Clogged ears, no pain, mucus from back of nose drips into throat. Do I need antibiotics?

had a bad cold for two weeks. never had a temperature. now ears clogged for two weeks. tried neti pots, "popping" my ears, and ear irrigation. temporarily they hep but not much it's driving m ecrazy.

do i need antibiotics? i have no ear pain. i do feel like eustachian tube is draining because mucus from back of nose drips into throat, especially if i sniff hard.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

It sounds like you have persistent symptoms reflecting a moderate sinusitis. Normally your immune system will generally clear this successfully. Occasionally, however, the infection may persist and worsen causing more uncomfortable symptoms such as those which you are experiencing.

It would be reasonable to consider an antibiotic for you. I generally recommend Amoxicillin or Azithromycin as treatments of choice for this type of thing. You will need to obtain that from your physician. Also, sometimes a nasal spray such as Flonase may provide some relief.

For now, I recommend continue to rest, hydrate well and see how things go. It would be reasonable to contact your physician to see if he might call in a prescription for you. In the meantime you might also consider trying TheraFlu or Mucinex for symptomatic relief.

I thank you again for the query and hope this response serves to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga