Clitoris pain, soreness, no bleeding, have masturbated, no vibrator. Damage to clitoral nerves?

Question
Hello Doctor,

I am a 20-year-old, female virgin, and I have masturbated almost all of my life. Around the age of 15, I started getting pain in the clitoral area and I didn't know why. In the past (and even a few days ago) I have often rubbed my clitoris/labia for such long periods of time (mostly over underwear/clothes) to the point of pain (I still got orgasms anyway). I never used a vibrator for over 15 minutes or so, and never directly on the clitoris. There are times where I have a constant soreness in the area that gets worse with tight pants.

Earlier this year, my boyfriend at the time poked my clitoris (over my thin underwear) with a fair amount of force (when I told him not to beforehand) and I ended up crying. It hurt a fair amount, but it was not super severe and I didn't see any bleeding (I was wearing black underwear but never saw anything while wiping afterward).

I went to the gynecologist and asked about my pain (didn't mention the ex-boyfriend's actions), and she noticed a lot of smegma. I had no idea I even had it. She instructed me on how to remove it, and after I removed the smegma between my labia minora and labia majora, I felt a bit better. However, I do not know how to reach or see my clitoris and its smegma, so when I went back to the doctor she looked and poked around in the area and said I have a tight clitoral hood. She just said the labia minora was super sensitive and I needed to put lube on it and "desensitize it" a bit with a Q-tip and maybe get pleasure from oral sex there, not a hand.

I'm wondering, did my excessive masturbation and the poke from my ex-boyfriend permanently damage my clitoral/vulvar nerves? I don't mind taking a break from sexual activity but I'd be devastated if I lost any capacity to feel. I hope I can get big orgasms there again without worrying about pain. Also, I have recently gotten tested for STDs and am negative for everything: viral and bacterial.

I'm really scared. Please help, doctor.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

After reading your symptoms I have come to a conclusion that you should not stress too much.

Listen to your body.

White stuff under clitoris is usually sebum and comes repeatedly as soon as you wash it.
Leave it alone.

Wash it gently with baby wipers which are non fragrant.
Do not shave too much.Just trim your under area.

Apply creams for yeast like flagyl or monistat. Apply clindamycin cream also.

Regarding intercourse , your boyfriend should be understanding.
Do not take stress so much regarding sex.

Everything takes time to heal up.
Take at least 8 hrs sleep.

Stay away from alcohol , caffeine , yeast and too much sugar.
Take zinc supplements.

Accupuncture can also help.

I hope this answers your query , any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Clitoris pain, soreness, no bleeding, have masturbated, no vibrator. Damage to clitoral nerves? 20 hours later
Thank you for your prompt and detailed response.

So, even if I ever used a vibrator on that area for over 30 minutes on high, I still wouldn't get permanent damage down there? I have used one for a considerable amount of time, though I'm not sure if I have ever exceeded 15 minutes.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 58 minutes later
Stop using it for few months.
When it heals properly then you can try it but not very frequently as continuous irritation at one one place may be harmful , can cause erosions and ulcers.
Change your lifestyle.
Neurotransmitter medicines can help you later on.

Any further query is most welcome