Clitoral overstimulation while weaning off antidepressants due to weight gain. Cannot stop masturbating. Sleepless. Help!

Question
I have been on antidepressants for 6 years. Recently my pscyiatrist started to wean me off of them because of excessive weight gain. During the course of my withdrawal I have been have sever bouts of clitoral overstimulation. I feel like my clitoris is constantly engorged and I cannot stop masturbating. I have two little children that I need to take care of and I just want this feeling to go away for good. I can't function at times and cannot sleep. please help!!
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi.

Thank you for posting your challenging question.

What you describe is called Female Persistent Sexual Arousal (PSA or FPSAS) and it can be very distracting and invasive in any woman's life.

Your problem has almost certainly been triggered by your gradual withdrawal from antidepressants. As an interim measure to relive your PSA, it might be worth discussing with your psychiatrist the wisdom of you going back to your usual dose on antidepressants.

Other treatment options of PSA may include the use anti-androgenic agents, anaesthetizing gels and psychotherapy.

I hope you found my answer useful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Regards.