Clear water like yellow semen colour instead of milky white. Is this any health related issue?

I am in my late seventies and for the last few years have had a clear water like yellow color to my semen. Could this be a health problem? It had always been a white milky color before.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Normal semen color is whitish yellow. A yellow cast to the semen, as you have noted, is very common and a variation of normal. Moreover with advancing age, the semen can become more yellowish, less in volume and more thick. If one doesn’t ejaculate for a long time, the change of the color of semen to yellow is absolutely normal. The other common cause is dehydration. If you are not taking adequate amount of fluids, it can also change the color of the semen to yellow.

Other than that, other causes are infrequent ejaculation and infections like infections of the prostrate or STD. At your age, it is common to have prostatitis as well but it is usually accompanied by other symptoms.

The usual presentation is pain at the base of the tip of the penis and also to the base. It can also be associated with pain after passing of urine, a feeling of incomplete evacuation of the bladder and a need to go to pass urine very often though with little or no urine.

A culture of the expressed prostatic secretions (EPS) can help in ruling out or confirming the diagnosis. You can also consult a urologist and get a prostate examination and an ultrasound prostate done if you have any of these symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.