Ask a Urologist   »  

Clear liquid discharge from penis after urination. No STD. Is it urethritis?

Hello, i have 2 or 3 small drops of clear liquid from my penis after urination, i had a full STD test and all came out negative for about 8 tests...can this be urethritis? There is no pain or burning feeling or any sores of any kind... There are also no visible sores. I will be seeing a urologist in 1 month. A GP has referred me to a urologist. Please advise me as to what this can be, thank you!
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 11 hours later

I understand your query and concern.
The lining of the urethra has many mucus (a little viscous fluid) secreting structures (mucus glands) to keep the area supple. Only then, the passage can be kept open and do its functions of transporting the urine and semen to the outside.
The secretion could have been a little more for a while due to various reasons or it can be just, what is called smegma (part of the ejaculate), which is common in your age.
As long as it is not causing any trouble in urination or fever it need not be a cause for worry.
Dr G Srinivasan

Follow-up: Clear liquid discharge from penis after urination. No STD. Is it urethritis? 57 minutes later
Thank you!

Quick follow u question, I never had these secretions and for the last 30 days have it every time after i use the washroom, should i just let it continue and hope it stops? In short i should just ignore it for now and it will stop by itself?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later

I think so. There are many small problems of the body, which are self-limiting, that is settle by itself.
This is one of those, i feel.
If it persists, kindly take medical advice.