Cleaning the wound with peroxide and applying Neosporin. Covering with bandage. Feeling numb around the wound. Normal?

On Wednesday may 8th 2013, I cut my XXXXXXX falling off a wooden box. I cleaned to wound as soon as I could with peroxide and applied Neosporin and a bandage as soon as possible. On Fiday may 10th I went to my doctor and she said that stiches could not be done. After looking at my cut she said that it does not look infected but clean it twice a day and keep it covered. My questions are as followed. 1) I am cleaning it morning and night in the shower with soap and water followed by iodine, peroxide and Neosporin, than covered by a bandage. Is this good enough for the cut? 2) Should I leave the bandage uncovered at night to let it air out and scab over? 3) and most importantly, does my wound look infected? I know it is hard to tell thru a picture but there is really no pain. The is no swelling, and it isn't really numb. Just a little numb around the wound where I bruised it when I fell. Thanks for your time and your thoughts..and just let me know if my cleaning is good enough. thank you
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 30 minutes later

1. Your cleaning regime is alright. Neosporin is not one of my favourite ointments because it has a high incidence of contact allergy and a cream will be better for such a wet wound than an ointment. I would recommend mupirocin or fusidic acid cream.

2. The wound is not shallow enough to be left uncovered. It is better to dress it up.

3. From the pictures the wound looks infected. The ulcer floor has yellow slough. It is better to take a course of oral antibiotics if you are not on one for treating the infection. Get it prescribed by your primary care physician.

Hope I answered your query. I will be happy to answer any further queries you have.

Get well soon.