Cleaning child's ear with q tip, blood on end. What should I do?

I was cleaning out my 3 year olds ear with a q tip, she moved and the cried out and I pulled it out. I don't think it went in far, but when I looked again there was blood. not much just a little. None coming out. She cried for a minute then stoppped and hasn't said anything about it. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 25 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The ear is a self maintaining anatomical organ, please do not fiddle with it.
The q tip/ear buds all are commercial gimmicks.
In fact the ear should not be washed with water from inside, the wax comes out spontaneously just clean it with cotton.
If you or the child have any problem then take help of the ENT doctor.
Your child might have suffered any amount of injury and can get infected inside, her eardrum also might get damaged.
She must be examined clinically by a qualified doctor to rule out any serious kind of damage.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!