Cleaned belly button with q tips and hydrogen peroxide. Have swelling and pain. Any relief?

I cleaned my belly button out with q tips and hydrogen peroxide about 8 days ago. I think I cleaned it too hard bc now the inside of my belly button is swollen and it feels like it is closing up. I had bad pain at the beginning, but minimal now. The swelling is way worse though. :( Help!
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 33 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Its worth investigating why the swelling is worst. This could be due to a simple traumatic inflammation of an infection, or rarely a torsion.,
A good clinician physical examination should be enough to give an appropriate orientation of the cause and treatment plan.
How ever for now, I suggest you get an analgesic to calm the pain as you arrange for an appointment with your primary care physician, or first the emergency room for appropriate management.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD. I will be honored answering further questions if need be .