Circular, bumpy, red patch on arm. Applied ice pack and vinegar. Any ideas?

My son has a circular, bumpy red patch of skin that developed on his left arm near the wrist. Another, lighter patch is visible nearby. There are also a number of small blister-like bumps on fingers of the left hand. We thought it might be some insect or spider bite but have no idea really what we're dealing with. This has gone on for a week or so with possible slight lessening of symptoms. My son applied an ice pack for a while, and we applied vinegar to one of the areas. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

A insect bite rash would rarely exist for a week.

I shall be more specific about the rash your son has , if you can attach an image of the rash here.After having a look at the image I will able to opine better.

Also I would like to know

Whether is he on any medications ?
Did he have similar complaints in the past ?
Does he have any symptoms like pain , itching etc associated with the rash ?

Waiting for your reply.