Chronic yeast infection since 2 yrs.On Canestan, flux pill, estrogen cream. Pain still persists. Any suggestion ?

Hi i am 65 years old and I have a chronic yeast infection for the past 2 years. Ive gone to my doctor, ive been on canestan, flux pill, i eat yogart, estrogen cream to insert into my vagina. I am in constant pain. It burns just terrible, swollen. itchy, white discharge thats thick and white with no odor and my labia and vulva is very red. I keep going to my doctor, but nothing she does helps me. Im starting to get pain in my pelvic area. I used to use douches after my period and after sex when I was younger. I don't do both anymore. I have a heart condition called Hypertophic Cardiomyopathy. I have a defibrilator. Can this spread to my heart? Also I do binge drink, and I drink beer. Can this be adding to my problem? I recently stopped drinking to see if it will help. I am also starting to get headaches from this too. I am 5'4", 137llbs, i watch what I eat and ive stopped menestrating when I was 53. I am also taking an osteprosis kit for my bones called Co-Etidrocal 400/500mg and my daily heart med is motoprolo What is your opinion? I'm really scared, my doctor did a pap smear 3 times and results come back as a heavy yeast infection. I have trouble sleeping its so painful. i dont use soap, just water to wash. Also is there anything I can take for the pain?
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 56 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I really feel sorry for all the sufferings you have. I just want to know, Are you a diabetic? & Have you ever been screened for HIV? as such type of infection is commonly seen in diabetic women & those with low immunity. Even if you are not please consider checking your blood sugar now to rule out a new onset diabetes & a sub-clinical HIV infection.
Also try loosing some weight as obesity is another important cause of this problem.
Most important is to see a consultant Gynecologist in person. Your doctor will examine your discharge & may take a test of your discharge for lab test. This way a specific treatment can be offered to you which is more likely to be of benefit.
Sometimes when tropical creams do not work, intra-vaginal tablets may work you may discuss this matter with your doctor.
For your pain you may try using local anesthetic jells but after first seeing & consulting a Gynecologist. These have good effects.
In healthy women this infection usually remain localized.
I hope I have addressed all your concerns. You may write back if you want to discuss this further.
Hope you get well soon.